Right of Way Agent
Responsible for acquisition and enforcement of real property rights required for the operation, maintenance, and expansion of the transmission, distribution, and communication system infrastructure of AVANGRID Networks. Provides local contact for interface with government, permitting, and customer interface related to franchise or property rights.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Investigate, negotiate, acquire, defend, and ensure legal recording and enforcement of property rights required for electric, gas, or communication infrastructure for Avangrid Networks (Distribution & Transmission)
- Document all communication and correspondence with landowners including in-person meetings, email, phone, mail
- Respond to internal and external customer inquiries in matters related to property rights
- Prepare or assist in preparing and securing specific state, highway, railroad, County, Town, City, Village permits for use of lands owned by governmental agencies, the public or other utilities including tree clearing permits.
- Investigate, negotiate, and acquire leases, licenses, and permits for Networks infrastructure, staging areas for storm or construction lay down areas, railroads & canals crossing permits
- Responsible for document management involving legal documents filing, recording, parceling & indexing and retrieval.
- Coordinate and process payments to landowners for certain property rights through internal SAP system
- Serve as legal witness as necessary for condemnation or other proceedings
- Investigate electric and gas franchise agreements and boundary lines
- Other tasks as assigned by ELM team members
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience drafting and negotiating property rights documents including rights-of-way, easements, licenses, leases, purchase and sale agreements
- Clear, concise written and oral communications
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, Google Earth, SAP
- Ability to plot metes and bounds descriptions of property and read a variety of maps, electronic and paper
- Ability to evaluate, interpret, and analyze engineering and right-of-way drawings
- Ability to interpret and research (abstract) legal documents
- Skilled in property rights research methods, including courthouse searches for recorded documents and internet research of same
- Ability to determine valuation of crops, timber, etc for damage settlement
- Must be willing to travel regularly
Experience and Training:
- Knowledge of Real Estate principles gained through education and experience
- Must have or have the ability to obtain a Notary Public License (required for NY)
Coates is an EOE. Women, minorities and veterans are encouraged to apply.